Wastewater Operator I
This position is responsible for performing skilled duties in the operation and maintenance of the Town’s wastewater treatment plant and wastewater collection systems. Work includes observation of plant performance, sample collection, process adjustment, cleaning and preventive maintenance of plant and collection system components.
High school diploma or GED;
Six (6) months of previous experience that demonstrates ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the essential functions; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
1. Must be bondable.
2. Requires ability to acquire a “D” wastewater treatment or a Class I wastewater collections certification within one (1) year of hire date.
3. Requires ability to acquire a “C” wastewater treatment or a Class II wastewater collections certification within three (3) years of hire date.
4. Valid Texas driver’s license.
5. Collection Operator must have the ability to obtain a Class A CDL
1. Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
2. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or authorities, or members of the local business community.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Ability to establish and meet deadlines.
2. Self motivated.
3. Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with supervisors and other personnel.
4. Demonstrate a willingness to perform duties in a team environment.
5. Knowledge and skill in the use of a computer.
6. Skills coordinating and managing multiple projects and/or assignments.
7. Ability to arrange, compare, count, differentiate, measure and/or sort data and/or information. Includes judging whether readily observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics are similar to or divergent from prescribed standards, procedures or routines.
8. Ability to exchange information for the purpose of obtaining information or clarifying details. Performs within well established policies, procedures and standards.
9. Ability to operate and control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and rapid adjustments.
10. Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference data and information, such as work orders, maintenance instructions, installation procedures, and regulatory statements.
11. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide; calculate decimals and percentages; utilize principles of basic algebra.
12. Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
13. Ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
14. Read, understand, and follow the Town of Little Elm’s Human Resource and Safety policies and Departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
1. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished by management in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
2. Comprehensive ability to disseminate information quickly and perform tasks under pressure with short deadlines.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to operate various machines, drive vehicles, and/or equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to (80) eighty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Outdoor environment; exposure to conditions of construction and Public Works project sites including loud noises, dust, heavy vehicles and equipment; exposure to inclement weather; exposure to traffic and other hazards while conducting field inspections; exposure to moving vehicles and equipment, slippery surfaces, and other related conditions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Treatment and Collection
1. Assist WW Operator II with lab tests by taking and analyzing samples, running tests on various equipment, cleaning bottles for auto sampler, and determining results of tests.
2. Maintains and cleans plant and equipment; cleans the lab, washes lab ware, counters, and floors.
3. Collects , reports and records all data as needed for daily reports, help record all data accurately and in a timely manner, and transferring data from charts and counters to paper and then computer.
4. Monitors wastewater flows and treatment processes.
5. Operate SCADA system, to include remote monitoring when functioning on call.
6. Performs various preventive maintenance duties, i.e., lubricating pumps and motors, cleaning wet wells and lift stations.
7. Performs routine maintenance on lift stations, pumps, motors, injectors, and other components of the Town’ treatment facilities and collection system.
8. Perform ground maintenance including mowing and weed eating for the wastewater treatment plant and lift stations.
9. Operate sewer jet cleaning machine to clean sewer mains and manholes.
10. Perform duties to conduct inflow and infiltration investigation including smoke testing of the sewer collection system.
11. Ensures the safe operating conditions per work site, i.e., traffic hazards, equipment operation, required barricades, road and site areas.
12. This position is subject to on call status regularly and callouts during emergencies and must have the ability to respond to job site within 30 minutes of contact.
13. Cross-train on both Treatment Plant and Collection systems Operations.
14. Treatment operators may work for Collection and/or Collection operators may work for Treatment as needed.
E.O.E. The Town of Little Elm does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability or military service in employment or the provision of services.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications