Little Elm Alerts
|Title:||Library Assistant (Part Time) 29 Hours|
Under direction of the Circulation Supervisor, the Library Assistant performs all processes involved in the circulation of library materials to include check in and out of materials, shelving and shelf maintenance, interlibrary loans, periodical/newspaper collection and maintenance of patron records. Perform all other support functions as needed.
The Library Assistant will have an opportunity to work in a community that is one of the fastest growing and most exciting suburbs in the USA. The candidate must be highly motivated and strive for success by demonstrating Little Elm’s Core Values of Integrity, Customer Service, Efficiency, and Innovation.
Bachelors Degree or minimum four (4) years experience working the circulation desk at a public library; library or bookstore experience desirable.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
- Must be bondable.
- Possess a valid Texas Drivers License
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or authorities, or members of the local business community.
- Ability to speak other languages desirable.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to establish and meet deadlines.
- Self motivated.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with supervisors, other personnel, and general public.
- Demonstrate a willingness to perform duties in a team environment.
- Knowledge and skill in the use of a computer.
- Skills coordinating and managing multiple projects and/or assignments.
- Ability to sort items in alphabetical and numerical order and knowledge of Dewey Decimal classification system
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- Skills using variety of office machines including telephones, computers, fax machines, scanners, printers and copiers.
- Ability to work flexible hours as necessary.
- A person who can contribute to the culture of Servant Leadership.
- Operate under the Town’s four core values of Integrity, Customer Service, Efficiency, and Innovation.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished by management in written, oral, digital, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to operate various machines and/or equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to (25) twenty-five pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Primarily office environment with space limitations in a fast paced atmosphere.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates circulation software, and performs library circulation duties including check out, check in and entering patron information, accepting funds.
- Sorts items, checks condition assists in re-shelving and maintaining library stacks as needed.
- Assists the public by telephone, computer, or in person with basic reference questions.
- Has flexibility to work evenings and Saturdays as needed.
- Assists with programs and projects as needed.
- Provides computer assistance and troubleshooting as needed.
- Maintains periodical and newspaper collection.
- Places interlibrary loan (ILL) orders and maintain records.
- Picks up and re-shelves stray materials and straightens library furnishings.
- Attend periodic support staff meetings and training opportunities.
- Prepares flyers, bookmarks, certificates, and other promotional items as needed.
- Inputs daily statistics information into Excel spreadsheet for monthly statistics report.
- Performs opening and closing duties, including turning equipment and computers on/off, counting down cash drawer, reporting facilities issues to supervising library staff.
E.O.E. The Town of