Little Elm Alerts
|Department:||Parks and Recreation|
|Salary Range:||$14.00 / hour|
Under direct supervision of the Aquatics Supervisor – Programs & Services and related management team, the purpose of this position is to assist in conducting swimming instruction programs. This is accomplished by teaching swimming lessons, leading and conducting preschool classes, ensuring the safety of class participants and assisting with facility operations. Other duties may include providing customer service and interfacing with other Town employees and citizens.
This position does not provide direction to other employees. The candidate must be highly motivated and strive for success by demonstrating Little Elm’s Core Values of Integrity, Customer Service, Efficiency, and Innovation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists with teaching swimming lessons. Conducts preschool classes by assisting in the development and implementation of various programs, identifying the types of programs needed, identifying the resources necessary for swimming classes and instructing class participants on proper swimming techniques.
- Ensures the safety of class participants by teaching and monitoring proper pool safety procedures, visually scanning all aquatic facility areas, determining whether participants are in distress, responding to emergencies when necessary, and providing first aid to customers when appropriate.
- Assists with facility operations by clearing litter and debris from pool areas, returning pool equipment to appropriate storage, preparing facilities for programs and classes, and ensuring the cleanliness of facilities.
- Provides positive, enthusiastic customer service to all customers and participants. Responds to, resolves and/or escalates customer complaints, questions, and suggestions.
- Enforces facility rules and policies promptly and courteously.
- Responsible for compliance with safety/industry regulations and meeting customer service standards.
- Assists with implementation of special events and works special events and/or afterhours rentals as needed.
- Assists with pre-season and grand opening preparation, cleaning, and implementation.
- May assist with membership and ticket sales, program registrations and implementation, concession operations, and other facility duties as needed.
- May act as a lifeguard if certified as such by the American Red Cross.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Must uphold the Town of Little Elm’s Core values of Integrity, Customer Service, Efficiency, and Innovation.
Must be at least 16 years old and possess one year of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification or related swim instruction certification preferred.
- Must possess or be able to obtain an American Red Cross CPR/Professional Rescuer with AED Certification within the first eight (8) weeks of employment. Certification must remain valid for duration of employment.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License or transportation to and from work.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or authorities, or members of the local business community.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of customer service practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of Town policies and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in monitoring departmental health and safety policies and procedures.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Skill in implementing departmental rule, procedures and objectives.
- Skill in interacting with all age groups.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Must possess thorough knowledge and application of swimming and water safety skills.
- Ability to adapt teaching techniques to various ages, levels of experience, and abilities of participants so participants can meet course objectives.
- Knowledge of swimming instruction techniques and learn-to-swim levels.
- Works special events and/or afterhours rentals as needed.
- Must be able to work a varied schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Performs CPR, Rescue Breathing and First Aid as needed.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished by management in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to comprehend complex policies, procedures, regulations, and organizational structures.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to operate various machines and/or equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds and be able to push and pull up to seventy-five (75) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Works in an office and indoor/outdoor aquatics atmosphere with potential exposure to heavy chemical presence. May be exposed to heat, cold, and temperature swings.
E.O.E. The Town of